Welcome to the latest edition of our ‘Under the Hood’ blog series, where we meet the people who make New Zealand’s amazing IT industry tick.
In this edition, we spoke to Beena Ryan, who works in the Project and Portfolio Management space for a national drinks manufacturing company here in New Zealand. Beena gives her advice to those looking to transition from a Business focused career into the IT industry, as well as outlining her personal take on the pros and cons of contracting.
Beena has had a varied career to date; having started her career in a business-focused environment, she feels that she has been able to transfer many of the skills she has learnt into her role in an IT-focused environment. Most notably, she suggests that her understanding of business strategies and the inner workings of management structures has assisted her greatly.
Whether you’re thinking of following in Beena’s footsteps and moving into New Zealand’s vibrant IT community or looking to start a career in the industry, Beena gives her advice on how to put your best foot forward. She suggests that for those getting started, it’s vital that job seekers try to get involved in projects to get some initial experience. She also comments on her personal lessons of regularly updating her CV as often as possible, especially if you’ve added a new feather to your cap.
For those contemplating a move into contracting, Beena discusses the importance of being fully prepared for the change.
Keen to See More?
This is just one video in a comprehensive series where we follow individuals who are making a stamp on the IT Industry. For more insights and advice on various roles in the IT Industry from thought leaders and experts in the field, check out more of our Under the Hood series below:
- From the IT Department to a DevOps & Agile Approach
- The Evolution of Digital Marketing
- Becoming a Versatile Senior Project Manager
- Everything about a Career in Omnichannel Marketing
- The Transformation of Agile Project Management
- The Role of a Solutions Architect
- The Life of a Finance Business Analyst
- Searching for the Future of Online Marketing
- A Global Career in Project and Programme Management
- CRM Consultancy – Customers and a Journey of Understanding
- The Future of Project Management
- A Career as a Security Specialist
- Sales in the Technology Industry
- Contracting Your Way to Success in the IT industry
- Not Just a Desk Job – Business Analyst